Monday, October 27, 2008

Weaving Works

When I was in college I used to frequent a great little yarn store just off of "the Ave" in Seattle's University District.  The store was located in an old house on a corner, and inside it was stuffed with treasures of all sorts.  One had to step over boxes and baskets of tempting treats--the store was that full of gorgeous yarns and fibers.

I was just newly reacquainted with knitting, having first learned when I was around 10.  I designed a sweater with a zipper in it, then gave it up for other things.  One weekend I came across a skein or two of nice-ish looking yarn and some needles belonging to my aunt, and I set about trying to remember this knitting thing.  By the end of the weekend, I'd gotten a fair start on a scarf.  Thus began another happy distraction from the rigors of University life.  I was back knitting again.  

And, I was right back into designing my own sweaters.  In fact, one one of my first visits to The Weaving Works, I spotted a poster with a sweater that looked interesting, and determined to create one for myself.  Now I had to work backwards--teaching myself to knit from a pattern!  I bought several skeins of "Soft Ball" cotton, and knitted feverishly on my cowl necked sweater.  From then on I would knit several sweaters from patterns, but mostly I reverted back to creating my own designs, which continued on into the years I had my own knitting business.  And the Weaving Works served me well during that time.

A year or so after I discovered it, the store moved into it's new location--a nice big, two story building with lots of light and space.  Upstairs were rooms for instruction and weaving, and downstairs one could find quality yarns of all sorts, spinning supplies, roving and raw fleeces, books, buttons, patterns, dyes...  you name it, I bought it.

Weaving Works is still going strong, and if you're ever in the neighborhood, stop in and look around.  You won't be disappointed.

The Weaving Works | P 206.524.1221 | F 206.524.0250 | TF: 888.524.1221 | 4717 Brooklyn Ave NE  Seattle, WA 98105Our Store


Colorfully yours,

--The Knit Chick

No comments:


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails